Thursday, March 17, 2016

Independent versus Dependent

This week the students are reading a book titled, "Ants in my Bed."  This story is about a boy that finds ants in his bed.  He goes about figuring out how to solve this problem independently.  After reading this story we talked about the differences between being independent versus being dependent.   The students made a list of the ways the boy was both independent and dependent in this story.   The students made a similar list about themselves.  After making this list, they then created a paragraph explaining why they felt they were more independent or dependent.  It was fun to read where they feel they lie on this spectrum of dependency.  We talked as a group about their age and how it makes sense that they are more dependent on others for certain things, but we discussed how they are slowly becoming more independent too

I think I am more independent than dependent.  One reason I think I am independent is that I do my homework by myself, but my parents check it after I’m done.  Another way I think I’m independent is that I feed my fish every morning without being told.  My third thing that I do independently is that I find creative things to do when I’m bored like paint canvases and paint by number.  My fourth comprehension is I write weird and creative stories independently Weird Story.  Also independently I clean my desk area to make it is organized, so it is easier to find things when I need them.  Those are a few things I think I do independently.
Written by Maddie

I think I’m dependent because I am lazy and motionless when I am on the computer and I need to start doing things by myself.  I need my Nana to make my food and I need help building a new lego set I just got. I also need help making my bed and my food.  Another way I’m dependent when I go to the park I have to ask My Nana or Papa if I can go to the park by myself and I have to come home when the twins show up.  Also I need to ask my Papa if we can go fishing when it’s warm outside.  Those are some reasons that I feel I’m more dependent than independent.
Written by Josephe


I think I’m more independent.  I think I’m more independent, because I do a lot of stuff by myself.  Like doing my homework with a teensy bit of help and making my bed.  Another way I am independent is I have to deal with my sisters and brother. Those are some ways that I am independent.   

Written by Allie


I am independent and dependent.  I am a hard worker but not really at home because I get really hungry.  I need to have food so my mom and dad have to get it for me.  I need to clean my room but I need help.  I also need help for a swimming lesson or any lesson.  I need help getting things like my toothbrush because they are in a high place.  I need a ride to my friends’ houses so my mom or dad need to drive me there.  I am independent by riding my bike and playing video games.  I am also independent because I get my own water and reading in bed.  Those are some things why I’m more dependent than dependent.   
Written by Joel

I’m more independent. One reason is that I can get my stuff ready for sports. The second judgement is that I can do my homework without my parents asking. The third understanding is that I can go out fishing and take the fish off the hook .  I can change lures by myself. My fourth comprehension is that I can make my bed without my mom or dad asking. My fifth  generalization is that I can ride my bike in Evergreen by myself.  That is my reasoning for how I’m independent.
Written by Sam

I am kind of independent and dependent.  I have been independent by going to bed at the right time.   I have been dependent by relying on my phone to wake me up at the right time.  Another way I have been independent is taking a shower at the right time.  I have been dependent by relying on my mom to make dinner.  I have done things on my own when I do my homework.  I always do my homework.  I have depended on someone when I pack my weekend bag.  Sometimes I forget or my mom has to tell me to do it. This is why I think I am both independent and dependent.
Written by Logan

I think I am not as independent as the kid in the book.  One reason I think I am dependent because I have to ask if I can play the computer.  Another reason is that I go a lot of places with my mom or my dad.  My mom also makes my lunch everyday.   Also my mom checks my writing homework to see if there are any errors.  One reason I’m independent isI that I can play the iPad whenever I want to.  I can take a snack from the pantry.  I can also entertain myself by playing with legos and playing the 3DS.  Those are some ways that I am independent and dependent.
Written by Joey

I am more independent than dependent because I watch my sister for 30 minutes well my mom naps. I pack my own bags and shower and I take care of my own home work. I also clean my room by myself. I pack my bags for soccer by myself. On Wednesdays I walk home by myself. I make my lunch by myself well only when I have cold lunch. A few things I am dependent on my mom for are paying the bills, paying for food, Buying me clothing and shoes. Those are some things I am dependent on my mom for and things I am independent on myself. 
Written by Ambrosia

No comments:

Post a Comment