Sunday, May 1, 2016

Third Grade Chefs

It was great to see so many students cooking this week.   A lot of the students shared some great food with us on Friday that they baked or cooked by themselves with minimal help.  Others shared their cooking experiences with us.  I loved seeing the pride in each of them as they told their stories to their classmates.  I appreciate your willingness to allow your children to gain this positive experience.  It seems they all created great memories even if there were some frustrations during this whole process.  Sometimes you have to fail first in order to succeed later on.  It was a great life experience for them.  Below, I shared Brayden's paragraphs and Joel's paragraphs summarizing their cooking experiences and their use of math during their times as chefs.

Hello this is Brayden I am here to tell you about my experience cooking. I was amazed that my mom or dad did that every night. I first made Chicken Teriyaki Recipe. I was also amazed how long it takes to cook a simple dinner. At first it took a while heating up the oven and making homemade teriyaki, then we got to a point where it said to marinate for 20mins and it was already 12 to 7. I found the hardest part to be making the teriyaki. This is how to make it:  In a large bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients- 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup squeezed orange juice, 3 Tbsp honey, 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp sesame oil. I also added rice and Vegetables. The easiest part was making the cake that I am bringing in for snack. Overall it was a very tasty meal and the best part about it was that I made it myself.


The way I used math in this cooking assignment was when I used the measuring cup. I had to figure out when to stop filling it up. Also in the cake it asked for 1 whole cup of something (I don't remember what it was) so I had to use  2 ½ cups. Those are the ways I used math in cooking.



Anyway first I found a recipe and wrote it down.  Then I went to the store to get some ingredients for my chex mix.  I got all the ingredients except for the high ones. Crowd-”Hahaha!!!”  After that my dad paid for everything.  I even scanned everything.  We were surprisingly shopping for 30 min!  It’s usually an hour because the parents talk.  We got home and started cooking!!!  I did almost everything.  I measured the ingredients, mixed them together and baked them.  Voila!!!  My famous recipe!  (It’s famous.)  I had fun making chex mix.  I usually help my mom bake but she helped me a little.  We now have something to sell at the Spring Fling Bake Sale.
I had to figure out how to make ¾ of a teaspoon.  I figured out that ½ + ¼ = ¾ of a teaspoon.  I had to count 6 tablespoons for the butter.  I am also going to use math to double this recipe.  

I’m going to bring in a bag of my famous recipe for you to try.

Written by Joel












No comments:

Post a Comment